People sometimes get annoyed when I suggest simple strategies because their problems seem so big, they think only big solutions could possibly help. However, sometimes simple is the most powerful and a perfect example of this is keeping fully hydrated by drinking enough water.
Our brain is made up of 85% water. In order, to keep it working at its optimal function, we need to drink LOTS of water. Without enough water, our concentration becomes shorter, memory worsens (which can already be a problem if you have ADHD), and we become moody, depressed and fatigued. The brain also needs oxygen and the more hydrated the body is, the more oxygen is available.
It is thought that an adult loses 10 cups of fluid each day even without exercising. So it’s important to drink and hydrate every day. On an average day aim for ten 8 oz glasses of water. However, that will increase on hot days, when you exercise and if you consume drinks like coffee and alcohol. On these days you will need more water to counter-balance these dehydrating factors.
How to drink more water every day:
1) Note how much water you drink in one day at the moment.
2) Think creatively how to increase that.
- Carry a bottle of water with you whenever you go out.
- Keep a bottle of water in your car to drink on route to and from work
- Have a jug of water in the fridge with lime or lemon slices (makes it extra tasty)
- Get a pretty glass you love drinking water from
3) Make water drinking goals, e.g. 4 glasses before lunch
4) Consider purchasing a home water filter system
5) Notice how alive and able better able to focus when you are fully hydrated.