Why are there so many ADHD entrepreneurs? As an ADHD Coach I couldn’t help but notice just how many of my ADHD Coaching clients were also entrepreneurs. In fact many successful ADHD entrepreneurs are also household names such as:
- Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Airlines.
- Ingvar Kamprad, Swedish Founder and Chairman of IKEA stores.
- David Neeleman, Founder and CEO of Jet Blue Airways.
- Paul Orfalea, the Founder and Chairperson of Kinkos
Here are the five reasons I have identified why adults with are attracted to having their own business
- You have a sense of adventure, are risk takers and exceptionally creative, none of which can be fully utilized when you work in a traditional job.
- Cubical = Prison. When you have Adult ADHD working in an office 8 hours a day is like a prison sentence. They feel their soul shrivel up when they enter the office in the morning.
- Red tape frustration. You can see the answer to a problem, or see how something could be done much better. Yet in a big company it could take months for that change to be implemented. When you are your own boss you can make it happen that very day.
- Time. When you are in a groove you work faster than your non ADHD peers. One client told me that he could get his work done in 1 hour, but then he had to sit around and pretend to look busy for the next 7 hours. That is boring and stressful.
- Body clock. Most people with ADHD find it really hard to wake up in the mornings. Plus they have a huge creative phase around 10pm. When you work for yourself you can work with your body clock to maximize the productive times.
Enjoyed This Article?
Then lets keep in touch. Sign up for more ADHD articles like this one!